On January 12, 2010 a 7.0 earthquake stuck Haiti. More than 230,000 people were killed, 300,000 injured and 1.5 million were homeless. During Spring Break 2012 and 2013, teams of Junior High School, High School, College Students and adults journeyed to Port-au-Prince, Haiti to work with Life Is Hope Orphanage to help repair damage done to the facility from the 2010 earthquake, complete much needed new construction projects, such as plumbing, electrical systems, painting and building bunk beds, assist in children’s ministry and serve people who had seen their lives, families, friends and country devastated.
As is often the case when the Holy Spirit leads us in service to others, it is hard to tell who is most significantly impacted – those who serve or those who are served. The testimonies below give you an idea of what happened in those who served on previous mission trips.
- “I learned that I have what it takes to be a missionary. I like my life of comfort but I adapted very easy to life there. I was very surprised at the amount of compassion and love I had for our team as well as the orphans and their leaders.”
- “I learned that I have it in me. There is no need to be discouraged or have fear when sharing the gospel.”
- “I learned that it’s not about where I want to be used, it’s about how God can use me wherever I am.”
- “I learned that I make friends easily!!! This was mind blowing! I am very quiet and reserved but God is breaking down the walls that made me that way!”
- “I learned how incredibly prideful I am. It broke me. Man, I so desperately want to minister God’s love in my life but I have so many selfish desires and needs that impact the way I act in relationships.”
- “I learned that missions are where God wants me to serve him for the future. I’m currently majoring in organic agriculture…This trip confirmed that God has this in my future, I just need to be patient.”
“What are some lessons you learned on this mission trip that you will never want to forget and which you can apply to your life back home?”
- “When God gives me a vision for something to hold onto it -pray over it…Before this if I felt like God showed me something and others did not see it I would just give up on it and assume it was not of God.”
- “Being thankful was a huge lesson to learn. I also learned that the love of Christ can break any barrier! In Haiti, our team connected with people who did not speak our language or know our culture, and we grew to love and respect each other.”
- “A smile can change someone’s world.”
- “God’s love is multi-directional! It’s amazing and has changed my perspective on service, ministry, and living daily life! My whole perspective has changed on how I relate with people. My life-goal has a new twist to it that I had never realized before.”
- “Words hurt but you just have to brush them off and keep on going. Pity parties hinder rather than help the team.”
- “I learned is that my sisters are really really important to me, and I want to be watching out for them, and don’t want to be forgetful of those relationships.”